Emily Johnson, Co-Founder of Book Driver

Good afternoon, all. I had the opportunity to interview Logan Square resident Emily Johnson, who is the COO and co-founder along with her brother of Book Driver, an incredible and unique small business dedicated to keeping the appreciation of printed literature alive. She also works at Uncharted Books, a local used bookstore. When I first stopped in several weeks back, we got into a great conversation about community issues and I knew she'd be a perfect candidate for an interview. When I told her about Hope for Chicago, she was excited to participate. We ended up having another great follow-up conversation at Intelligentsia, one of the many delicious local coffee shops just a few doors down from Uncharted. She had a lot of insightful things to share on being an entrepreneur in the city, how to get involved in addressing community concerns, and even homeownership as a millennial/younger adult. Read on below!



Emily Johnson, COO & Co-Founder of Book Driver


Me: Hi Emily, how are you?

Emily: I'm good, how are you Tiffany?

Me: I'm doing well, thank you. So how did you get started with Book Driver?

E: So Book Driver started in Colorado in 2013, and my brother lives out there and I live here...and he had a bookstore out there and it sort of grew naturally out of buying books from patrons. A lot of people wanted to donate books. And we also found that all over the area and the country books are being thrown away at insane rates, every day by anyone from just residents to schools, universities, libraries and other institutions. Meanwhile, books aren't really something you can call a non-profit to pick up, with some exceptions like Open Books that picks up huge donations in the city. So we began to offer a residential book donation pickup service. So it grew from this, and now we work with partners, Amazon sellers mainly. And they book the pickup trips and we get cuts from that. That's how we cover our operations. So my brother and I are developing business now. He runs it in Colorado, and it's been up and running in Chicago for a year by me. So it's a newer part of the venture. We're hoping to eventually spread throughout the country. My brother and I have both been really interested in books from an early age, our parents actually met when they were both high school English teachers at Marillac.

Me: Wow. That's actually really cool, it's like you're filling a gap. And I love that your parents passed their love onto you guys.

E: Yes! And we are filling a gap. We're trying to give opportunities for people to use resources that are largely going unclaimed. And also providing good book jobs for book people, which is something that hasn't really been around for about a generation now.

Me: As a book person, I can attest! Even as a younger person, I prefer the print experience to all of the electronic options we have now.

E: Yes, even young people who are just growing up now, when they get to try books they often see the benefit of not having any distractions and just having the physical book.

Me: For sure. And what brought you to Chicago? What do you enjoy about having your business here?

E: I came to Chicago from New York about 9 years ago, and I think it's a really amazing place to be an entrepreneur and self-driven person. There are a lot of self-motivated people here, and there's also a lot of good book stuff here. There's a strong book culture.

Me: That's great. And did you have your business while you were in New York too?

E: No, but I've been a marketing writer as well ever since I left New York. I worked for Penguin about 10 years doing marketing when I was in New York. So basically I've just been a freelancer with lots of sidelines. The book side came in for me just as we've been developing Book Driver.

Me: That's awesome. And you also work at Uncharted next door.

E: Yeah, I've been helping them develop their online selling through Amazon. So I come in and help with just book shop stuff and sell online for them, trying to grow their multiple streams..just as we all need to do.

Me: Yeah, definitely. That's exciting. What do you think has been both rewarding and challenging about being a small business owner?

E: I mean, there's a lot of work that goes into it. A lot of it has to be self-motivated. There's not someone bugging you about it, though my brother and I sometimes do that to each other. But there's also not necessarily someone paying you either. And so those are some challenges. But it's really rewarding building something that has value. Not just economic value, but really has value to the community.

Me: Yeah, and going off of that, what is it that you enjoy most about this local community, like Logan Square?

E: Logan Square is just great! In Logan and Humboldt Park there are so many amazing shops just kicking it and I take those places and people as models. You know, like gallery spaces and shops and some places that you aren't even sure what they are. I love that about our neighborhood, there's a lot of that.

Me: Yeah, definitely! I've seen so many places like that and I feel like there's a very entrepreneurial spirit here.

E: Totally, and it's also like a little rebellious. Like not wanting to do the whole corporate thing. So I see that Logan has a bit of an anti-establishment vibe and I like that.

Me: For sure, I feel that.

E: It's challenging to figure out the tax code and stuff. Just working in Chicago it's hard to figure out the law and way of business. There's a lot to learn as you go. I think any big city is like that, but it's something I've found here in general.

Me: Just like figuring out business regulations?

E: Yeah, like how to do what and how to go about it. Doing business here you can come up against certain regulations you didn't know about, and stuff like that. But it's always kind of an adventure opening a business.

Me: And you live around here right?

E: Yeah, in west Logan.

Me: Living here, is there anything going on that you're passionate about that you'd encourage others to get involved with? What would you tell someone who was interested in getting involved both locally and in the city as a whole in their own communities?

E: Yeah...I think it's important to get involved not in politics per se but there's opportunities here for local grassroots development. A lot of local businesses are starting to become a small network for each other. That's one of the cool things about Logan Square is that that grassroots development is happening while the most overt kinds of gentrification seem to be lacking and delayed here...people are instead filling in with their own stuff. So I think that's what people should get involved with here. Other people on the ground here doing things, whether with businesses, local ordinances and laws and learning how to work that system for local residents.

Me: Right, like be knowledgeable about what's happening.

E: Yes, and there's so many places people can find like Uncharted Books and meet great people who are very involved in various things like the arts or activism. And you can't meet better people or people who need more help with things than community activists! So that's the thing. Get involved and help where you can and put in work towards something. I think that's brings a sense of belonging and makes you part of the community.

Me: Right! Are there any local or citywide causes that you've been particularly passionate about or have been doing activist work for?

E: Mostly community development. Hopefully the new mayor will focus on community development, I think that's the most important thing on the West Side especially. One thing I like to do in my context as a writer is working with people in a workshop at Harvest Commons...it's like a halfway and rehabilitation house teaching people skills after they get out of prison and are transitioning back into the community. We do a writer's workshop there. I love working with adults to help them accept their truths. I also think Open Books and the Chicago Literary Alliance are two great organizations here. I give so many books to Open Books, they're probably my biggest donor here in the city. We actually donate almost 70% of the books we pick up. So we sell maybe 10%-30% locally and online and the rest are donated.

Me: Yeah, so do you donate mostly to non profits?

E: Almost totally, although we don't mind donating to people who want to come fill their cars with books. We've occasionally done that. Or done specials like 'fill your car for $50.' We try to get the books off the shelves and into the right hands. Especially with textbooks, if you hold onto them for more than a few years they're not worth anything to anyone. It's good for people to keep these things moving through their lives and not just sit on them.

Me: Yeah, keep the literary world alive! Also, this is another topic. I know you said you worked on the campaign of alderman Michele Smith in the 43rd Ward. What led you to take that volunteer position?

E: Well, as someone interested in local politics, the opportunity came up in the 43rd Ward...that was sort of serendipity. But Michele Smith is great. She has a background as a lawyer, is an environmentalist, for women's rights, and is big on fighting Chicago corruption, which is so important. We need to keep the people who are smart and willing to fight for what is right in the City Council and I saw that she was doing that. As an incumbent, she's also on her third term as alderman now, and really knows the lay of the land and is able to stand up for those interests. So I thought that was really awesome, I wanted to see her re-elected and saw it was going to be a fight there. As it also was in several other wards, it was really close.

Me: I think it's really cool that you got involved even though you don't live there.

E: Yeah, I love Lincoln Park. I've sort of learned every nook and cranny of the neighborhood. Might be my first home if I could swing it!

Me: That's how I feel about Logan too actually! This will be my home eventually, I'm moving in August.

E: Oh, good. I was actually lucky enough to by here early enough. Just in the knick of time really. So that was good. But it would be great to open a bookstore in Lincoln Park. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but there aren't any used or new bookstores there.

Me: Yeah, I work nearby and I've never seen anything like that.

E: So that's crazy, but you know, retail store fronts are sitting empty. One of the thing's Michele was talking about in her campaign was the tax credit that they give to landlords when their stores are vacant over a period of years.

Me: Yes! Someone else I interviewed also brought that up.

E: I'm trying to just like trumpet this out because it's crazy. It's supposed to be for like blighted areas where they couldn't get tenants, trying to keep up the beautification of a neighborhood even if it's like people aren't renting there. But it's just now being taken advantage of. People in Lincoln Park don't need that. And Lincoln Park is one thing, but in Logan Square, landlords do not need to charge the top of the market to every tenant. A lot of landlords would like to get tenants in, but they have to measure that against the tax benefit that they're getting. It's super easy and simple, it might be a decision they make because it's easier. So I'm not trying to blame landlords here, I think they probaby want someone taking care of their place too. So that seemed like something Michele Smith was willing to take on. And again, she's really smart and knows how to do that.

Me: Yeah, describe how you got involved. Did you just say 'hey I want to volunteer'?

E: No, I heard about the campaign through someone I knew who was working with her. And that's how I got involved. It was more like as a writer I do like to take any job or volunteer opportunities that put me in front of people on the ground. And mostly that's what I was doing, canvassing and talking to people on the street in Lincoln Park about the issues. I just love doing that. So they brought me on after that a little more, a few hours here and there and it ramped up. By April 2nd it was all hands on deck!

Me: Right! So what did a typical day look like for you as a volunteer?

E: So I started as a volunteer, but eventually I was a full time person at the end.

Me: Oh, okay!

E: Yeah, so mostly what I was doing was walking around the neighborhood, knocking on doors and talking to people, and also just manning the early voting, so being at the library and talking to last minute voters, many who maybe don't know a lot about the issues but want to be involved. So I'd talk to some right before they voted and they'd decide based on that. So we had to make sure someone was there to inform them. Usually when theres a running opponent, there's someone from each side to talk to people. So I was there doing that. Also, 18% of voters go in not knowing what they're going to do.

Me: Yeah, definitely. And you hear a lot of conflicting messages and it can be hard to know who to trust.

E: Yeah, I found that in my ward context, the 26th, in November. It was sort of hard to decide. There's a lot of money going into these things. A lot of the marketing, who knows where its coming from. So on Michele's campaign, I was lucky enough to like the person I was working for. I know it isn't always like that and then its not so fun.

Me: For sure. So you said you live in the 26th, right? Is there anything you've seen in your ward that you want people to become more knowledgeable about or become more involved in?

Emily: In our ward, I honestly think that people should get involved in all of the amazing festivals in Humboldt Park in the summer. There's tons of really awesome concerts and open air things like the 606 Trail festival. There's little 2-3 block festivals in Humboldt and the 606 where all the community comes together, like hipsters, and families, young and old...that's the stuff I love about my neighborhood. People can really let loose and have fun. I guess that's true in almost every ward, since Chicago is so big on street fests. The strip on California between Augusta and Division is full of destinations as well as the park itself. I just saw that they put a ton of boats out over there.

Me: You mean like the pond over there? Yeah, I know what you're talking about

Emily: Yes, it reminds me of Boston. I grew up there. That's like our only branded thing in Boston. Besides the Freedom Walk.

Me: So you grew up in Boston, that's interesting. And then you moved to New York and now here?

E: Yes, East Coast and now Midwest basically.

Me: Yeah, so having experienced both of those cultural environments, what do you think stands out to you or is different about here?

E: Well...people are a little bit more hardworking here. They're more focused on working towards their own goals, where in the East its a little more "striving" in the traditional way. I think people are more down to earth here. People are also somewhat nicer here, although sometimes its to your face...In New York people can be more aggressive and in your face and here they aren't as forward.

Me: The Midwestern way!

E: Yeah, it takes a little while to get used to and accept as still honest. At first it seems a little dishonest. Like why can't they just tell me they hate me? But they aren't Bostonians, they aren't going to do that!

Me: Yeah, I've noticed that when I've been to the East Coast. They can be a little more abrasive, I guess is the word.

E: Yeah, cause in New York I saw that people can be nice and go out of their way to help you but also can be so mean, it's like all over the place. It's abrupt.

Me: True! Also I think it's really great that you're a homeowner. That's definitely not something you hear everyday. A lot more people have been renting in recent generations. So what would you tell someone who was looking to become a homeowner? What has your experience been like?

E: Well, I would say that after you start looking at for sale homes it takes about 12-18 months average to find something. The first thing I did was get pre-qualified from a mortgage broker. I focused on each step of the process. All of them are long but add up to like this big thing. In 12-18 months, in that time of looking you have an incentive to save money, and it's actually not too hard to save up a down payment in that much time. I'd also say, stay well within your range of affordability. Stay in the middle to the lower end, because you don't want to be tied to that one paycheck just in case. In my opinion that's why desperate people get into stressful situations, when they borrow too much. That's the number one thing actually. And in Chicago you can find really reasonable real estate, but sometimes you do have to be a little brave about where you're going. Look past some of the typical places people want to live. Find a place you want to live that's good, and safe and well located for you but may not be everyone's choice.

Me: Right, and I can see what you're saying cause there are still some people who view West Logan Square as unsafe or undesirable.

E: Right, and that depends on who you talk to. Like to real estate brokers it's not really rising fast enough. And it really isn't, where I live it slowly is. Even a couple years ago you could buy a house in West Logan Square under $200,000. I don't really know what that's about. North Ave. seems to be a certain line. But I know people who lived in Humboldt who had to leave like three years ago, cause suddenly they're paying thousands but its still a little bit "gangy."

Me: That's so interesting. Yeah, like when areas become more expensive real estate wise but still have a lot of quality of life issues.

E: Right, but what you'll see is that people will move into those neighborhoods if the price is high enough. It's weird...

Me: It's like the social status almost

E: Right, it's like the price seems to preclude any crime or problems living there. But of course there will always be some clashes among different classes living among each other. But we also don't want the alternative which is only living among people of your class and race. It's like why live in a city if you want that?

Me: Right, I agree. What might you say to someone who has a negative viewpoint about West Logan and Humboldt as a whole and want to avoid exploring it?

E: I'd probably say that my experience is that it's actually been really neighborly and safe. But in my area it also feels like you're kind of in an outpost. It's very residential. I'd say anywhere in the city where you're sort of at an outpost at night you should be aware of what's going on around you, but in terms of like in Humboldt if you're around where people go out I don't think you'd be any worse off than being in Wicker Park. It's fine for people to have a normal amount of awareness. There is occasional gang activity in the western area of the neighborhood. So I can see why people might feel like its a bit dangerous. But where I live I've never had a problem, ever. So it's everyone's choice. I think in the parts of the neighborhood that are gentrifying that it does feel safe. And even at like Milwaukee and Damen on a Saturday night, anything could happen.

Me: Right, its the same kind of social context.

E: Right, I've actually known more people who've gotten mugged than in Humboldt. And the rents are higher there, so people might be expecting to find more wealthy people there. In a weird way I'd be more worried there than in Humboldt or West Logan about being bothered in that way. What do you think? Do you agree?

Me: I think it depends on what kind of crime you're looking at and what you define as dangerous. So if you're looking at gang activity, you'd probably see more in Humboldt, but in terms of like property crime you could easily see more or a similar amount in Wicker Park. These are supposedly "non-violent" but can still really effect your quality of life of course. It really is about your perspective and how you view safety.

Emily: Right. I think Logan and Humboldt feel more spacious, less densely populated. I think that can make it feel a little bit more like "where am I?" So I'd say visit during the day. Check out these cool shops we've been talking about.

Me: Right. And I think if you live in the city, and are aware of your environment I think you can sense when things change in terms of safety. I've been to the park and east of the park, and I feel relatively okay. But west of the park, south of North Ave  is completely different.

E: Right, and there's really no reason to go west of the park. And for the park itself, in any big city you really wouldn't go there along at night. No matter what park we're talking about. I wouldn't go to Millennium Park alone. So go in the day to visit places, and go at night if you're planning on moving. That's always my advice for checking out a neighborhood. And trust your gut when suddenly you feel marooned or something.

Me: Right, like if you're aware of your environment, especially in the city, you become more perceptive over time.

E: And you learn to trust those perceptions more from not having always listened to them in the past!

Me: Absolutely. Well, thank you very much. And before we close, I just want to let our readers know where they can find you for Book Driver. Like how that works if they want to do a donation.

E: Yeah, if they want to do a donation, they can go to our website, it's bookdriver.net. And they can also sign up for a book pickup and talk to us about any other place they can help.

Me: Awesome. I think it's an amazing mission, very inspiring.

E: Thank you! And thanks for the little spotlight, it'll help us to keep growing in the Chicago area.


Emily's business card for those who'd like to get in touch


So you heard that right, friends. Check out Emily and her brother's entrepreneurial venture at http://www.bookdriver.net/ to get some books or learn how you can contribute to keeping printed literature alive and well in our city.



Comments

Popular Posts